The 12th-century Castle stood at the centre of the great Taunton estates of the bishops of Winchester. Its defences were seldom tested until a destructive siege during the Civil War.
It housed the Assizes and Quarter Sessions until 1858. In 1873 it was acquired by Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society who remain its owners. It is now the home of The Museum of Somerset.
Where is it?
The Museum of Somerset,